Saturday, April 13, 2013

What Does Your Mug Say About You?


 I have three favorite coffee (and sometimes tea) mugs:

1) The one my sister-in-law made that has a picture of my husband when he was little dressed up like an old man. (It was originally a gift for my husband when he turned 40, but it turned out that I appreciated it WAY more than he did, so now it is mine.) Looking at it always makes me smile.

2) My wonderfully-pink french press mug that was a birthday present a few years ago from someone near and dear to me. It comes with a little container for coffee grounds that is stored underneath and inside the mug, so you can always plan ahead for moments when you might need some extra caffeine.

3) And finally, there is my newest stainless steel travel mug, also a birthday gift. It bears the phrase "I love my cat and the feline is mutual." First off, I have to explain that I am a huge fan of puns. I think there are no bad puns, and the ones that make people groan entertain me to no end. Add to that, there is a bit of a stereotype about library employees and cats that I am pretty sure rings true. While there has been no official survey that I am yet aware of, I am pretty confident that the majority of us here at the library share our homes with cats. It's just one of those things.

You may wonder why I am talking so much about my  mugs? Would it surprise you to learn that according to a 2011 waste audit, almost 20 percent of the landfill waste generated in Wilson Library was from paper cups?

This is why we are pleased to announce that Western Libraries is launching a GEF sponsored Bring Your Own Mug (BYOM) awareness campaign and logo design contest! To all of you creative and talented students out there, this is your chance to show us your skills, win a prize, and help us encourage other people to reduce landfill waste and save resources by remembering to bring their own mugs! For details on this exciting opportunity, check out our contest blog page. You have until April 22, 2013 to submit your winning design!

No comments:

Post a Comment